Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Look Back

Here is a blog I published last year. One of my first blogs, if I may add.

Mediocrity and Respect


me·di·oc·ri·ty
–noun, plural -ties.
1.the state or quality of being mediocre.
2.mediocre ability or accomplishment.
3.a mediocre person.


Mediocrity, what does that have to do with us Pinoys? Last Sunday, I went to the house blessing of my aunt, it was just a small gathering of friends and family. In the Philippines, any celebration of course, calls for food right? She called for a catering, when I saw the food, I didn't really like it to be honest. Filipinos can be associated with mediocrity, in fact, I believe that we studied the bad habits of Filipinos, one of them was the "bahala na" habit or in english, mediocrity. I know that us Pinoys aren't the most hardworking, even though we are known to be resourceful... Going back to the event, I can rant all day about the food, but I will not do that because I would say way too much. The food in the party was okay, not really the BEST ever food I tasted, but I didn't think anyone payed much attention to the food, other than me.


That was pretty much the end of the bad part, I don't want to rant on negative things. We get associated with mediocrity, so what? Most people know that Filipinos tend to look at the brighter side of life, we love to give joy, and we are taught to be respectful to everyone. even if there is much mediocrity in our culture, I believe we make up for this by giving great service and respect. In other countries, I don't think that they really say "sir" or "ma'am" when they talk to you.

For Example:

McDonald's USA: Hi there! How are you? What would you guys be havin' today?

McDonald's Philippines: Hello sir/ma'am, welcome to McDonald's, how may I help You today?


I have nothing against people from other countries, I just want you guys to realize that even if some of us give mediocre products, chances are those people would serve with respect, because that is what we are known for.

No comments: